Online interviews – hints and tips to make yours successful
A video interview poses new challenges over face-to-face meetings, so we’ve put together our favourite curated hints and tips to help you prepare.
Hints and Tips for your online interview
- Do a test-run with your computer – make sure you understand how the video software works and that batteries are fully charged or better still the computer is plugged in.
- If you are using your mobile phone, again make sure you have downloaded the video app and tried it out. Don’t hold your phone during the interview, keep it still.
- Pick the perfect spot and consider lighting – make sure the area is well lit and isn’t shadowed.
- Eliminate distractions – make sure any pets, children and distractions are kept out of the way.
- Dress professionally. Pj’s do not look professional, make the effort to dress properly.
- Calm your nerves. Compose yourself before you join the meeting.
- Look at the camera to maintain eye contact – you’ll look confident and not focussed elsewhere.
- Have your notes and a pen to hand and don’t forget to make notes throughout.
- Be punctual, just like you would be for a face-to-face interview
- Have a glass of water with you – you can’t just get up and grab a glass!
- Have good posture – don’t slouch in the chair or lay on your sofa – sit up.
- Speak slowly and clearly – give everyone time to hear and take on board what you are saying.
- Listen carefully – don’t be afraid to ask for the question to be repeated if necessary
- Practice, Practice, Practice. If you can find someone to practice with prior to your interview then try to do so.
- Be punctual. It’s an interview so we’ll mention this twice.
How to end an online interview
So you’ve got through the interview, you’ve answered all the questions thrown at you with knowledge and confidence and shown plenty of interest yourself.
So what do you do now?
- Ask questions about training.
- Restate your interest in the position.
- Find out about the next steps you should take.
- Send thank-you emails.