Teacher Training Entry Criteria
To teach in a state school in England, you must have a degree, and gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) by following a programme of Initial Teacher Training (ITT)
Join the highest quality candidates
The teaching profession looks for the highest quality candidates, so you’ll need to meet the following requirements before you can be accepted
Required qualifications for entry onto ITT courses
- ‘O’ Level/GCSE A-C pass grade/new grade Level 4 – 9 in English & Mathematics (and Science for Primary applicants). See note 1 below.
- A degree classification of 2:2 or better is required however, KMT will consider 3rd Class degrees when supported by other strengths and circumstances. For Secondary courses this ideally needs to be in an area relevant to the subject in which you will be training. See note 2 below.
- Other qualifications and personal experiences of working with young people, strengthen all applications considerably.
- KMT will advise potential applicants concerning any equivalency tests where required
- Subject relevant experience may be taken into account where the degree does not meet this requirement
- KMT is not in a position to accept applications from non-EU citizens who do not meet the residency requirements to receive public funding.
- KMT is not able to proceed with a registration for the School Direct Salaried Programme from those not currently holding residency status in the UK, unless that registration is completed in conjunction with one of our consortium schools.
At KMT we look for evidence of the following
- Strong motivation to work with children/young people
- Recent experience of working with youngsters
- Recent experience of observing or working in a school
- A genuine interest in how children/young people learn
- Flexibility and enthusiasm
- Awareness of and the resilience to cope with the demands and pressures of teaching
- An appreciation of the benefits of life-long learning
Gain recent experience in UK schools
Whilst not essential, all applicants to KMT will ideally have some recent experience of UK schools before starting their course. It is also highly recommended that some experience be gained during the application stage, as it will strengthen both applications and interview discussions.
KMT School Direct Lead Schools and their partners will always be willing to offer school observational experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need to gain observational experience.