Frequently Asked Questions


What is the minimum salary I am expected to earn on the Salaried route?

There is an Unqualified pay scale that schools have to refer to. The requirement is that you receive a minimum salary equal to the Unqualified scale 1. Ultimately, salaries can be discussed at an interview and  negotiated taking your prior experience into consideration.

What is the difference between Salaried and Non-Salaried places?

Training on the salaried route allows you to gain a salary whilst you train. You are employed by a school as an unqualified teacher and you are trained on the job. This route is advisable for graduate candidates who have at least 3 years of transferable work experience.

As a non-salaried trainee, you are supernumerary which means you don’t have your own classes and you are always with a qualified teacher. Your training will start with an observation period and your teaching load will gradually increase over your training year. As a non-salaried trainee you will have to fund your own training, some subjects give you access to a bursary.

Can I get a Tuition Fee Loan if I already have a Student Loan from University?

Yes, you can.

Can I get a bursary and a student loan?

If you are training on a non salaried training route, you are eligible for a student loan. Only some subjects give access to a bursary. You can have access to both of them at the same time. Please click HERE for further information.

I have a 3rd class degree, can I get a Bursary?

Unfortunately, you need to have a 2:2 or above to be entitled to a bursary.